Albertans have different strategies for managing our long winters. Some book all-inclusive vacations anywhere hot and sunny. Some go skiing in the Rockies. And some gaze sullenly out at 4 p.m. darkness, faces illuminated by a SAD lamp’s simulated rays.
Here’s another suggestion: A night’s stay at Hôtel de Glace.
Think sleeping bundled up in a room made entirely of ice and snow isn’t your idea of a good time? I’m about to convince you otherwise.
What Is Hôtel de Glace?
The 44-suite Hôtel de Glace is a hotel constructed from scratch every year using 500 tons of ice and 30,000 tons of manufactured snow.
It’s located 20 minutes away Québec City’s Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB).
This coming season it will be hosting guests from January 4 to March 26, 2017.
You won’t get a chilly reception at the Ice Hotel:
- All guests can warm up in the outdoor spa and sauna.
- Guests curl up in a sleeping bag on comfy mattress resting atop a bed of ice.
- Whatever the temperature is outside, the room climate hovers between +5 and -3 degrees.
- Speciality rooms exhibit their own unique theme: hockey, ancient Rome, gardens, etc.
- The ritziest suites have private access to a hot tub and fireplace.
- The lobby, lounge, and many of the themed rooms have hand-carved ice sculptures.
What to Pack
Here’s a list of essential gear to pack in your suitcase for a cozy stay at the Ice Hotel:
- Base layer – Synthetic or wool-blend socks, underwear, long-johns, and long-sleeve shirt
- Middle layer – non-cotton top and pants + wool, flannel, or polar fleece sweater
- Outside layer – Winter jacket and snowpants that shield against moisture and humidity
- Accessories – Toque, gloves/mittens, scarf, winter boots, swim suit, sandals
More Tips Before You Go
- There are day and evening tour packages if you don’t want to spend the night.
- Planning a wedding or group function? Hôtel de Glace can host it.
- Middle-of the-night bathroom breaks will need to be relieved at a separate area of the hotel. (Plumbing and pipes aren’t friendly to ice and snow.)
Book your Ice Hotel getaway
Contact your AMA travel agent for help planning your next winter vacation.
Or browse the latest Québec City flight deals and check room availability at Hôtel de Glace.